Velocette LE MKIII.
In 1958, Velocette launched the Mk III LE with a footoperated gear change and a conventional kick start. An extra gear was added,together with 18-inch-diameter (460 mm) wheels. The instrumentation wasrelocated to the head lamp, and the petrol capacity was increased from a meagre1.25 to 1.62 imperial gallons (5.7 to 7.4 l; 1.50 to 1.95 US gal).With ten years development, the Velocette LE was more reliable and practical,but in 1970 the company went into voluntary liquidation. Production of othermotorcycles had been delayed or canceled to produce the LE in various forms, andthe lucrative police orders had dried up with the introduction of the "pandacar" for patrol use by most forces. Kent County Constabulary purchased theremaining spare parts and were able to keep LE's running until 1974.
Back in the early Sixties the Conservators of Epping Forestwho were responsible for patrolling the Forest saw the need to augment theirnormal means of transport, which was either by foot or on horseback, withmotorcycles.At the time, police forces in the area were using Velocette LE motorcycles andthus these were decided on for the Forest, being quiet and comfortable for therider and having good reliability. It was also decided that they would order themachines in RED. This proved a good idea for they soon became very much a knowsight in the Forest.